Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, May 7, 2010

    Trail Race Report 24 Hr Adventure Trail Race







    It is done. Thankfully. The 24hr race was definitely a physical challenge. I took third place with 72 miles in 22:32:32 - not bad for an early season race. Athletic Equations, the race promotion company, put on an excellent event and I highly recommend any of their other events - an 8 and 12hr trail race to round out for a nice three race ultra-series. The volunteers were some of the best ever.

    The day started chilly at 7 am. I ran the first lap in my sleeves, my first two laps of eight miles were at 1:44 and 1:47 respectively. The weather was perfect early-on and I cruised the first 24 miles. However by early afternoon the humidity and heat were climbing. My watch topped out at 96 degrees. I lost my stomach for a while and about the time the sun was going down I started to feel solid again just in time for the night racing. I went through 48 miles in 12 hours, moving conservatively.

    Nightfall found me moving a bit slower, my laps were 2:00 to 2:45. While my feet held up very well and my legs were strong I had a chafed spot on my inside upper right thigh that let me know it was there with every step. My friend, Mike, came out and paced me one lap from 8-10pm. It was great to have the company.

    I ran two strong laps during the night and then at around 2:30am I caught my friend Bob in the aid station. Hot salty ramen was delicious! We turned a lap together in 2:45 and then both of us ended our races. I really wanted to go the next four miles but I would not have made it before the cut-off of 7am and my miles would not have counted.

    Amazingly I finished 3d in the men's race and fourth overall (the women's race winner finished 76 miles)! I didn't even know until my friend called me at home because I had left right at 7am.

    Thanks again Scott and Alex at Athletic Equations, the great volunteers, and the superb competitors.

    No comments: