Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 2, 2009

    Running of the blogs

    As part of my efforts to actually do something worthwhile with this blog I am instituting my now-to-be weekly feature: Running of the blogs!

    My intent is to highlight and hyperlink to blogs, articles, and other noteworthy items to the endurance athlete/outdoor adventurer.

    Sitting inside the Hoyawolf's den with the snowy winter outside I am glad to see that I am not the only one looking forward to some warm weather running. Check out the latest from Karl Meltzer. Looks like he is planning a nice series of 100s this season.

    DC local, Bryon Powell of IRunFar fame, is in the final stretch before jumping across the pond to the run the Marathon de Sables in the Moroccan Sahara Desert. Bryon is a training animal, the proof is in the figures.

    Is it fair the iced in East Coast trail scene has to suffer while others celebrate in the sun? Trail beasts everywhere will be jealous of the weather and mountains Coloradans are enjoying.

    A team of Candians recently claimed the fastest trek to the South Pole via the Ronne Ice Shelf. Obviously an amazing feat of endurance and adventure but what struck me most was their diet. If only I could eat like this and still be competitive - and less than two hunnies!

    As a native North Carolinian I am partial to that fine state and the many, many outdoor opportunities it offers. Asheville has long been a mecca for mountain athletes with its mild climate, excellent quality of life, and proximity to both the Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests. One of my favorite events in the area is the Black Mountain Marathon and Mt Mitchell Challenge. This is one of my dream races. The combination of weather, terrain, and competition is excellent!

    Since the winter hibernation period is quickly coming to a close the races are starting to reach capacity. If your calendar is still a little thin there are plenty of trail runs and road races from which to choose.

    No comments: